Speeding Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA
In A Speeding Accident? Our Attorneys Can Help
Everyone knows how bad the traffic in Los Angeles is. All that stop-and-go can lead to frustration and aggressive driving, including speeding. But the faster a driver pushes a vehicle, the less time that driver has to react to things happening on the road. Reduced reaction times increase the likelihood of crashing, and high-speed collisions are more likely to result in catastrophic injury or death than accidents at slower speeds.
The popularity of a certain film franchise was built on the idea of street racing here in California. Now, more people engage in and watch street racing, and we have more fatal crashes. Being able to control a thousand pounds of machinery is a privilege, one that too many Angelenos take for granted when they forget just how dangerous speeding can be.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a speeding driver, call a Los Angeles car accident attorney at NOVIK LAW GROUP, A Professional Corporation, at (818) 305-6041. We’ll go to work to look for compensation for you.
Speeding Is Dangerous
Over the last few decades, speeding has been involved in about one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities in the United States, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Here in Los Angeles, nearly 20% of collisions in 2016 with fatalities or serious injuries were speed-related, according to data from the Office of Traffic Safety.
Causes of Speeding Accidents
While excess speeding can cause accidents, there are different factors that lead a driver to push his or her vehicle faster than it should go. These include:
- Running late. People often speed because they do not give themselves enough time to get to where they need to be. Driving at high speeds just to make an appointment, however, is certainly an act of negligence.
- Traffic congestion. Dense traffic can make people frustrated and aggressive. Aggressive driving usually involves speeding, or at least going too fast for current road conditions.
- Lack of understanding. Many drivers fail to notice how fast they are going and how little reaction time they have. Such ignorance is no excuse for negligent behavior, and does not make them any less liable for what they do.
Street racing in California is considered a “speed contest,” which makes it illegal under state law. Any time people race against another vehicle or a clock while not on a designated racetrack, they are breaking the law. Street racing has become popular over the last few decades due to movies that have portrayed it in a glamorous light, but engaging in street racing, even late at night when streets may appear deserted, is incredibly dangerous. It also carries stiff penalties for anyone convicted of the crime, including:
- Minimum of one day and up to 90 days in county jail
- Fine of at least $355, up to $1,000
- 40 hours of community service
- Suspension of driver’s license for 90 days, up to six months
- Vehicle impounded for up to 30 days
These penalties are for first offenses. Repeat offenses carry harsher penalties, as does any accident involving street racing, especially if someone is injured. Anyone who is a spectator at a street race can also face criminal charges and fines.
Talk to a Knowledgeable Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured by a speeding driver, you deserve compensation for your injuries and other losses. Call NOVIK LAW GROUP at (818) 305-6041 to set up a free consultation at our Encino office today.
Explore Attorney Services in Encino, CA
NO UP-FRONT COSTS!
If you think hiring an attorney is too expensive, think again! By following our legal advice, our clients pay zero fees and have zero out-of-pocket costs until we win or settle their case. Guaranteed.