Apartment Building Premises Liability Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA
Fighting Against Apartment Landlord Negligence Throughout LA County
There’s lots of rental property throughout Los Angeles, and renters rely on their landlords to take reasonable steps to ensure the property is safe. When the owner of a property fails to do so, renters can be seriously injured. Under California law, if a landlord acts in a negligent way, they can be held liable for injuries or property damage to the renters. Filing a lawsuit is no small task, however, which is why you should have an experienced LA personal injury lawyer to represent you.
Premises liability covers injuries that occur on someone else’s property. This is a wide-reaching field of law that requires a great deal of knowledge to fully understand. Do not try to handle this type of lawsuit yourself. If you have been injured on someone else’s property, call NOVIK LAW GROUP, A Professional Corporation, at (818) 305-6041 right now to discuss your case.
Apartment Premises Liability
When injuries occur in an apartment complex, it can be difficult to determine who acted in a negligent way and where liability ultimately falls. Some common apartment injury cases include:
- Slips and falls: Slips, trips, and falls seriously injure thousands of people each year. A renter who slips on stairs that are not properly maintained, stairs that are broken, or stairs that are unlit may have a claim against the property owner.
- Dog attacks: In a dog bite claim, liability almost always falls on the owner of the dog. However, if the property owners did not enforce rules or deal with a known dangerous animal, they may be responsible as well.
- Theft: Basic security is the responsibility of a property owner. That means that doors and windows must be fitted with adequate locking mechanisms to protect the property of an apartment renter.
- Violent crime: A property owner might also be liable for violent crimes that occur at an apartment complex. If the owner of the property knows there is high risk, but fails to take reasonable steps to try to prevent crime, a renter or visitor who is attacked might have a claim against that landlord. This can be incredibly difficult to prove, which is why an experienced attorney is so important.
- Swimming pool accidents: Swimming pool are popular in sunny LA, but property owners must meet legal requirements to keep renters safe around the pool. This includes fences of sufficient height and gates with locks that keep children out and prevent drowning accidents.
In apartment injury cases, proving negligence can be difficult, but there are certain things renters can do to help. It is vital that any unsafe conditions be reported to the landlord immediately, and the report be documented in some way. Landlords are not expected to know everything, and may not be considered negligent if they fail to fix a problem that a routine inspection wouldn’t have brought to their attention.
On the other hand, if you have a copy of an email notifying the property owner about a dark stairway with stairs that are crumbling apart, and someone falls down those stairs a month later, then you have a way to prove the landlord knew about the problem and did not act in a reasonable way to correct it. This kind of documentation can help win a premises liability lawsuit.
Call Us Today!
As an apartment renter, you have the right to expect your home to be safe and secure. If your landlord failed to uphold a legal standard of care and you were injured, call an experienced LA premises liability lawyer at NOVIK LAW GROUP at (818) 305-6041. Your consultation is free, and if you are too injured to come to us, we’ll come to you.
Personal Injury Attorneys Nearby
NO UP-FRONT COSTS!
If you think hiring an attorney is too expensive, think again! By following our legal advice, our clients pay zero fees and have zero out-of-pocket costs until we win or settle their case. Guaranteed.