Sidewalk Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA
Our Sidewalk Fall Attorneys Help Fight When You Can’t
Unfortunately, cracks, gaps, and broken slabs on public sidewalks are common in the Los Angeles area. Due to a lack of maintenance, people trip over cracked sidewalks every day and sustain serious injuries.
When To Consider Hiring A Sidewalk Fall Attorney
When you are injured after falling on a cracked sidewalk, it is important to act immediately. Make sure you receive medical care, but do not talk to insurance companies until you speak with an experienced LA premises liability attorney.
It’s easy to sign away your rights, especially your right to a civil lawsuit, if you agree to offers from an insurance company or a lawyer representing someone else – even the city or county government. You deserve your own knowledgeable lawyer to represent you and make sure your rights are upheld. Call NOVIK LAW GROUP, A Professional Corporation, at (818) 305-6041 and put us to work for you.
Los Angeles Sidewalk Accident Case Results
- $200,000.00 – Sidewalk Trip and Fall
Click here for more settlements, verdicts, and awards.
What Should You Do After a Fall on a Cracked Sidewalk?
- Go to the hospital. After falling on a cracked sidewalk, you should have your injuries evaluated as soon as possible. Sometimes, fractures can become much worse if not quickly diagnosed and treated. Also, documenting your injuries is important for any future legal action you wish to take.
- After tripping and falling, call our office immediately. Unlike car accidents, where the statute of limitations is two years, when you are injured by a fall on a sidewalk, you only have six months to begin litigation against government entities (the city, county, state, etc.). You do not have time to spare after being injured by a fall on a public sidewalk! That is why you should speak with our office as soon as possible to ensure that your personal injury claim does not lapse.
- Take lots of photos of the cracked sidewalk. It is important to document the crack in the sidewalk that you tripped over. Be sure to take many pictures and measurements of the cracked sidewalk. If there are trees next to the sidewalk or tree roots that are visible, you should take several photos of those items also. If retained, our office will also take photos and measurements.
What Injuries Are Common in a Slip-and-Fall?
Although pratfalls might be funny to Hollywood, in real life they are not only extremely painful but can require years of physical therapy to recover from. Some common injuries from falls include:
- Bruises and lacerations: These surface-level injuries can be painful, but do not usually cause long-term damage. Bruises may indicate deeper injuries that are not readily apparent, and cuts can become infected, so medical attention can still be appropriate with seemingly minor injuries.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are painful and can take months to heal. Professional medical care is usually necessary to reset the bone and ensure it is kept in place to mend. Some physical therapy may be needed after recovery, and broken bones can make daily behavior more difficult.
- Internal injuries: Damage to internal organs is not as easy to detect as cuts or broken bones. These injuries may become life-threatening if not found and treated quickly, and treatment may require surgery or other invasive procedures.
- Tissue injuries: Injuries to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments can be painful and seriously restrict movement for weeks or months. These injuries often require a long time to mend and may require surgery and physical therapy if the damage to the tissue was serious enough.
- Neck and shoulder injuries: Injuries to the neck and shoulder areas are common, especially if someone goes backwards in a slip. These injuries can be painful and have a severe impact on the quality of a person’s daily life. Chronic pain in the neck or shoulder can cause sleeplessness, and surgery and rehabilitation may be needed for full recovery.
- Spinal cord injuries: Minor damage to the spinal cord is not only extremely painful but requires emergency medical attention and treatment. Serious spinal cord injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis of the body, depending on the nature and location of the damage.
- Traumatic brain injuries: When a person strikes his head on the ground or another object after a fall, the brain takes the brunt of the damage. Brain injuries can have long-term consequences, such as loss of senses like sight or hearing, changes in personality and behavior, and difficulty with previously routine tasks. Serious brain injuries can result in a coma or be fatal.
Negligence in Sidewalk Maintenance
While we do not have to worry about snow here in Los Angeles like they do in the Midwest, proper sidewalk maintenance is still important. Large cracks and uneven areas of sidewalk should be reported to business owners or the City of Los Angeles right away. If the City is aware of damaged areas of sidewalk that present a hazard to pedestrians, but fails to do anything about it, that can be seen as an act of negligence, which may make the City liable for injuries that occur.
Similarly, walkways on private property, including storefronts, must also be properly maintained or the business owner could be held liable. Speak with our Los Angeles slip-and-fall accident attorneys now at (818) 305-6041 for a free consultation. Our fees are 100% contingency – if you don’t recover, you don’t owe any attorney’s fees.
Additional Information About Sidewalk Accidents
NO UP-FRONT COSTS!
If you think hiring an attorney is too expensive, think again! By following our legal advice, our clients pay zero fees and have zero out-of-pocket costs until we win or settle their case. Guaranteed.